News

UK government u-turns over post-Brexit plan to scrap rights

By on

The government’s review of workers’ rights has been scrapped in a rapid U-turn after the business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng confirmed plans had changed.


In an interview with ITV’s Peston on Wednesday 27 January, Mr Kwarteng said: “So the review is no longer happening within the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). I made it very, very clear to officials in the department that we’re not interested in watering down workers’ rights.”

Measures that were being considered included ending the 48-hour maximum working week, changes to rules about breaks at work and ending the requirement for businesses to log employees' working hours, the FT reported.

"The review is no longer happening": Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng on ITV

The interview came just a week after Mr Kwarteng told the BEIS committee that they would be looking at a “whole range of issues relating to our EU membership” and see “what we wanted to keep.”

‘No pat on the back’

Ed Miliband, the shadow business secretary, said it was clear that the government had been intending to get rid of protections. Speaking at the House of Commons on 27 January, he said: “The truth is—and, of course, I welcome this—that they have been forced to climb down today because of the outcry, but that does not merit a pat on the back.

“The very fact that they were considering taking away vital rights, including the 48-hour limit on the working week, from nurses, ambulance drivers, lorry drivers and supermarket delivery drivers speaks volumes.”

He added that the government had made large budget cuts to HSE over its last decade in power, and he pointed out Mr Kwarteng’s well-publicised views on workers’ rights including Britannia Unchained and a 2014 pamphlet, the Innovation Economy which argued that government should exempt new firms from all employment rights for three years.

“And now he expects us to believe that he has had a road to Damascus conversion; he has junked all his previous beliefs. He has gone, if you like, from “Britannia Unchained” to, “Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains”—from blue Kwasi to red Kwasi. How gullible does he think the working people in this country are?”

‘We’ll be keeping a close watch’

Responding to the U-turn, Prospect’s Mike Clancy tweeted that it was a positive move that the review had been dropped. “It's time for government to work with unions to improve rights ahead of the Employment Bill. We needs rights fit for the future of work.”

TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady tweeted: “We’ll be keeping a close watch. Ministers shouldn’t have been looking at weakening hard-won rights in the first place.

The PM must deliver on his promise to enhance protections at work, starting with banning zero-hours contracts.”

NEWS


Istock MED 1212160149 William87

Masks only effective if ‘everyone does it’ warn safety professionals

By Belinda Liversedge on 13 July 2021

Experience has taught us that we can’t guarantee people will behave responsibly to prevent Covid transmission such as by wearing masks, the chair of the British Safety Council has warned.



Wembley Before Match In 2016 Istock Adam Petto MED

Wembley capacity increased to more than 60,000 ahead of Semi-Final

By Belinda Liversedge on 28 June 2021

More than 60,000 fans will be able to attend the UEFA EURO 2020 semi-finals and final at Wembley Stadium following an announcement by the UK government, increasing attendance to 75 per cent of capacity for each game.



Istock 1318778301 Credit RK BHAT PAJAKA MANGALURU KARNATAKA INDIA 430 Wide Min

Indian government launches inquiry into ONGC barge tragedy that claimed 86 lives

By Orchie Bandyopadhyay on 01 July 2021

Eighty-six offshore workers lost their lives after four vessels that state-run oil and gas major Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC) put into service, went adrift in the Arabian Sea off the coast of Mumbai during Cyclone Tauktae on May 17.