More than 60,000 fans will be able to attend the UEFA EURO 2020 semi-finals and final at Wembley Stadium following an announcement by the UK government, increasing attendance to 75 per cent of capacity for each game.
The semi-finals take place on Tuesday 6 and Wednesday 7 July, with the final being held on Sunday 11 July. All attendees must continue to follow strict Covid-19 entry requirements.
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said the government had worked ‘extremely closely’ with UEFA and the FA to ensure rigorous public health measures are in place. “The finals promise to be an unforgettable moment in our national recovery from the pandemic,” he said.
Mark Bullingham, FA Chief Executive commented: “It is great that the Government has agreed to allow over 60,000 fans in Wembley for the final three matches of the tournament. It’s amazing how much atmosphere fans have been able to generate so far, so to have three times as many will be fantastic.”
Some of the biggest events in the summer’s sporting calendar, including the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, Challenge Cup Final and men’s international cricket will also go ahead with greater capacities as part of the latest phase of the Government’s Events Research Programme.
The pilots will continue to trial the use of Covid status certification at mass participation events. This includes the ramping up of trialling the use of the NHS App and Lateral Flow Testing, as proof of a person’s Covid-status.
UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin said: “It is great news that so many fans will be able to watch the final three matches of EURO 2020 at Wembley.
“This tournament has been a beacon of hope to reassure people that we are returning to a more normal way of life and this is a further step along that road. I am grateful to the Prime Minister and the UK government for their hard work in finalising these arrangements with us, to make the tournament final stages a great success at Wembley.”
By Orchie Bandyopadhyay on 07 September 2021
By Belinda Liversedge on 06 September 2021
Vast amounts of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) intended for hospitals is still lying in storage, including £2.9 billion worth of items that are ‘not suitable for use’ in medical settings, a Committee has confirmed.
By Belinda Liversedge on 03 September 2021
The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) is calling on businesses to “not let their guard down” to ensure COVID-19 doesn’t spread rapidly through workplaces.