Please arrive at the venue by 0845 to register your attendance. The course will start promptly at 0900 on each day and is scheduled to finish at 1700 on each day.
Scotland’s Mental Health First Aid (SMHFA) course
The SMHFA course is delivered over two full days by a qualified SMHFA instructor. The quality of instruction is continuously monitored by NHS Health Scotland.
On the course, you will learn:
• How to apply the 5 steps of SMHFA
• How to respond if you believe someone is at risk of suicide.
• How to give immediate help until professional help is available.
• What to say and do in a crisis
• The importance of good listening skills
• About recovery from mental health problems
• About the connection between mental health problems and alcohol and drugs
• About the connection between mental health problems and discrimination
• Some basic information about common mental health problems
• Self-help information
You will get a certificate of attendance and a manual to take away with you at the end so that you can remind yourself of what you’ve learned.
Sometimes students experience distress when mental health topics are being discussed. Should this happen to you, your experienced and caring tutor will ensure you are given appropriate support.
We hope you enjoy the course and find it beneficial. If you have any queries or feedback please feel free to speak with your course tutor or contact our customer service team at [email protected] or call us on +44 (0)20 8741 1231.